Thursday, October 19, 2006

Tree stand levelers

We are presently evaluating a new yet simple device to level tree climbers to keep the cost down on such a leveling device. Buckshot Equalizer seems to be doing well with its cranking device to level deer stands, but in my opinion a little overkill on the complexity and cost to perform such a simple task. There was also a recall in early production when they were working the bugs out, and I still hear of complaints that the crank handle will break off. Deer Hunter Stands has had tree levelers for years, which are simple aluminum shims that are placed on the climbing blade once up in a tree. I can usually eyeball a tree and estimate if any increased angle is needed when first setting up the stand based on the amount of tree taper. Fortunately I hunt in woods with lots of perfectly straight tulip populars but I know not everyone has this luxury, and when I hunt in areas with old oaks with a large degree of tree taper I tend to use our big deer lock on stand. This doesn't help those who love climbers, which is why we are in the process of implementing a simple and inexpensive way to fix this common dilemna.

Simple is often better, certainly when it is also cheaper. We are still working out details on the patent, but stay posted as this will be offered soon!

No comments: